Friday, January 13, 2012

The Barnes at the Barn (and my 2nd family)

"I assure you that I am completely normal."

That was the line that won Erin over back in 2008. She was a piano and vocal teacher, looking for a nanny for her two boys, and I was a single mom conveniently looking for a job. In the horrifically scary realm that is Craigslist, I told her the only thing about me that she needed to know. I was painfully normal. She also liked that I had a daughter of my own. Built in playdates and normalcy. How could we go wrong? We met a few days later at Starbucks and I met Ethan, the oldest of her two sons, who was 6 at the time (sniffle.) We talked Beatles and music (Erin and her husband, Matt, are both heavily involved in music) and Ethan decided I was cool enough to keep around. Erin asked me how long they could expect to have me stay with them. I told her about a year.

I started working there a few weeks later, bringing my (then) almost 2 year old daughter to play with Cason (2 years old at the time) and Ethan. A few months later, Erin informed me that she was pregnant, and it surprised me so much that I accidentally knocked my water over onto my laptop. Clara was born at the end of May, 2009. Riley and I continued to go to their house at least 4 days a week, and the kids became the closest thing Riley has to siblings. I watched the kids grow with each other and I love them all so much.

3 years after I started my job there, I felt that it was time to leave. Like Mary Poppins, I felt the wind change. My photography was taking off, the kids were getting older, the 50-minute round trip drive was taking a toll and Cason was about to start school. I cried when I told Erin that it was time for me to leave. She hugged me and I cried more.

During my three years with the Barnes', all of our lives changed dramatically. I was there through the loss of one dog, 2 cats and one guinea pig. They gained a daughter and two new kitties. We both gained new friends. I'm so grateful to be able to call Erin and Matt my friends.

This is the first official session I've had with them. It was long past due. I cannot believe how much they've all grown.

 

Clara... my favorite 2 and a half year old... thank you for having a heart much too big for your body, and the ferocity of the woman you will continue to become. I have a few grey hairs with your name on them, but I love you. I cannot wait to watch you grow.


Ethan, I am so proud of the person you're growing into. My hearts stops to think that you are already 10 years old. Thank you for teaching me all I will ever need to know about Indiana Jones and James Bond, and for laughing at my expense over the years when I was on the brink of insanity. You are such an unbelievable older brother to your brother and sister. I hope every child could have half of your wit and intelligence when they're 10. You continue to amaze me. Also... thank you for making Riley a geek, in the best way possible.




Cason. "Beebah." You make my heart all soft and gooey. Much like your younger sister, your spirit is too big for your body. I wish we could all see the world through your eyes and share your enthusiasm about even the most mundane things. I didn't matter whether I was away for a month or a few hours... you always greeted me with the same adoration and excitement. You have a very special spot in my heart, kiddo. Easy on the cranberry juice. You're going to bankrupt your parents at the rate you drink it.


















  

Erin and Matt... thank you so much for holding me up during a very transformative part of my life. Thank you for hiring the single mom who claimed she was normal (I think it is very clear now that I'm not. Haha!) Thank for cleaning up the spiders I killed using the kids' books and for running a block down the street at night to kill the one I found in my car right after I left your house (and called you screaming my head off.) Thank you for being more laid back than I am, and for being so accommodating. Thank you the thousands of hours of piano playing I was able to hear over the years. For listening when I showed up to work frazzled and frustrated. For telling me how awful the Eagles were playing when I wasn't around. For laughing at my stories at the end of each day. For trusting me with the kids. For loving Riley. For loving me.

I love you all. Here's to many more years of friendship!

1 comment:

  1. I'm weeping. Your work is so beautiful, and knowing you has enriched all our lives in so many countless ways. Thank you for these photos and for all you have done for us. We love you!

    Erin, Matt, Ethan, Cason, and Clara (as well as all those crazy animals!)

    ReplyDelete