Friday, January 27, 2012

Why I made the leap to Canon (but no, really this time.)

Some of you may or may not have had the misfortune of suffering through my 7 minute video yesterday, where I attempted to explain the reasons I have long forgotten about why I switched to Canon. I apologize to anyone if they were actually expecting to hear some legitimate insight into my decision making process. I promise, I did intend to lend that insight, it's just that my brain stopped functioning the second my webcam turned on. I suddenly forgot everything I wanted to say. What resulted was a botched version of the story I wanted to tell and instead a peek into my awkward quirkiness that can sometimes be more of a burden than endearing. My timing couldn't have been better though. Today is Friday. It's blog day. I'm here to express in actual written, organized and well-versed English what I meant to say yesterday.

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again today. There were a lot of reasons I switched. There are a lot of things I miss, too. Here is the breakdown:

1. I wanted that Canon color.

While I had my Nikon, I was given some very good advice regarding white balance (Thanks, Rach!) and that aside from using a white balance card, using Kelvin and eye-balling it was the next best thing. Once I took control of my in-camera color, my sessions were more enjoyable. I had more instant gratification. I was happier to see a closer representation of the final product much sooner. It made me enjoy my work. However, over time, I started seeing what was missing from the in camera photos, rather than what was already there. As I scrolled though my photos in camera, I noticed that even when I nailed my exposure, I could name 10 things the photo needed, before I even got it on my computer to look at it. Now, a bit of a disclaimer- I do realize that the D300, while it was a good camera, was not up to par with the Canon 5D. This was not a battle of gear. This was about things that I noticed were consistent with each brand. I can tell a Nikon image from a Canon image most of the time. Nikon, for ME, lacked accurate skin tones amidst other color characteristics that Canon already had. The tones were deeper on Canon. The skin didn't have a magenta cast. The bokeh was "creamier." It came down to personal preference. However, there were sacrifices I'd be making when I decided to take the leap from Nikon... which leads me to #2...

2. I was willing to give up technical ease.

Everyone knows that Canon's physical layout is just plain annoying sometimes. Scouring the in-camera menu is not my idea of a good time. It also wastes time. I said it yesterday, but perhaps the reason I feel this way is because I was so comfortable using Nikon's system. Had I started with Canon, maybe I'd be indifferent. I had already become accustomed to setting my WB using Kelvin- and on a Canon, it requires a few more pushes of buttons and a bit of navigating. I wasn't happy about that at first, but then quickly discovered that the AWB on my 5D was pretty darn accurate. I now keep it on AWB because of several reasons. I'm doing more weddings. It requires a lot of lighting changes. I could be in 3 rooms in less than 1 minute and I cannot be scouring my custom settings for kelvin temperatures. I also keep it on AWB because the LCD screen on my camera is completely inaccurate as far as playback goes. It has a pukey green tint and makes the photos look like garbage. When you have inaccurate color on the screen while you're trying to select an accurate temperature, it can be easy to get it very wrong. When I first started using my 5D, I'd select the kelvin number I thought was appropriate based on what I saw on the screen. I'd get them on my computer later and hate the white balance completely. The camera sees things we can't see, just like we see things the camera can't see. It's a flawed system, but I accepted it. It was worth the switch to me. Also, thinking about one less setting while I was assessing ISO, aperture, shutter speeds, composition and lighting sounded really good to me. Thankfully it worked out that WB is one of Canon's strengths. I have emphasized before that they need to make focusing one of their strengths too, but in time, they will. Technology will catch up and after that, there is only one thing to consider... #3.

3. The glass.

I didn't know until a few months ago that Nikon and Canon are both lens companies primarily, and camera production comes in a very distant second. When I read about that, it really got me thinking about how I may have been asking myself the wrong questions while deciding what company to go with. I immediately stopped thinking about the latest, greatest technology that either one had to offer, and I stripped it back to the basics. The glass makes the difference. Canon and Nikon are ever evolving. Every few years, one passes the other on the totem pole and the other plays catch up. They can mimic technology and upgrade camera sensors and taunt with impressive (and unnecessary) MPs- but they cannot replicate the lenses. When I stopped considering the complicated never-ending technology of the camera bodies, I realized that Canon lenses are untouchable. The L line is delicious. DELICIOUS. I've only used them a few times, but a few times was all that I needed. It's not something I can explain to someone who has never used one. It'd be like trying to explain what the color scarlet looked like to a person who couldn't see. You just have to see it, and you'll never forget.

4. All the cool kids were using it.

Before you roll those eyes, let me explain. This was only the catalyst to even considering the switch. Honestly, when I started, I didn't question which one I should start with. I just started Nikon because it was what Rachel used and she was helping me get on my feet. Don't get me wrong, Rach is amazing. AMAZING. Nikon treats her so so well. She owns it. My Nikon treated me well for a long time. She didn't try to convince me which one I should use, I just asked her what camera I should start with, so she suggested what she knows, which was Nikon. Boom. That's how that happened. It wasn't a decision process until I was a year into this thing. I also didn't decide what corner of photography I wanted to focus on until about a year in. I consider it my "intern" year. I learned a lot of things and I tried everything possible. I made educated guesses so I wouldn't have any unanswered questions. As a result of this, I am more confident now more than ever that wedding photography is right for me. I enjoyed newborns, but it didn't press my buttons. I didn't seek newborn blogs. Now, onto the point. I noticed that I was seeking wedding blogs. I poured over them. I developed a bit of an addiction to the work of certain photographers. After I had been researching these photographers a bit more, I realized that they all... ALL... used Canon. All of them (save Jose Villa, who mainly uses his Contax- but he also uses a Canon SLR for the ceremonies, etc.) Anyway, this was how I started questioning what brand was right for me. The images of these photographers just screamed at me. I realize that the gear doesn't make the image, but it definitely sets the canvas for photos. I'm not saying that I thought Canon would miraculously make me amazing, but the fact that I was being most drawn to only Canon photos said something. It got my wheels turning. This isn't to say that I don't admire Nikon photographers either. I do. I SO do. Perhaps I shouldn't say "ALL the cool kids were using it." I should say "The cool kids were ALL using it." That's better.


I need to emphasize again, that is was just my thought process. These were the reasons that worked for me. This is not a formula or a guide to photographic self-realization. This isn't even about who I am as a photographer. We all know that gear is skin-deep. We all have our own vision, and Canon is just a tool in how I immortalize it. Nikon is fantastic. Great company. Great lenses. Great product. When I stopped asking myself the wrong questions and finally asked myself the right one, the answer became very obvious to me. I chose Canon. You might not. If you make the decision based on what you like, then I applaud you. That is very big feat to overcome. Throw out the technical mumbo-jumbo and just say "what do I prefer?" In the end, on this age-old subject, that's the only thing that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment